TripAdvisor reveals world’s best beaches in annual TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards
Inch Beach is named the best-rated beach in Ireland in the Travellers’ Choice® awards for Beaches, announced today by TripAdvisor, the site that helps you find the latest reviews and lowest prices.
Not just a favourite in Ireland, Inch Beach also celebrates the title of 22nd best-rated in Europe and ranks above a beach in France’s Brittany – Plage du Sillon.
In second place in Ireland is Clonakilty’s Inchydoney Beach which also places 24th in Europe. Coming in third is Dog’s Bay Beach in Roundstone.
“Year after year Ireland’s beaches continue to beat many others located in exotic destinations around the globe, proving that it’s not just good weather that makes a cracking beach. For those however who want guaranteed sunshine and sand, TripAdvisor hotel pricing shows that travellers can find great value on warm-weather escapes to these popular beaches this year,” commented Hayley Coleman, TripAdvisor spokesperson.
In the world ranking, Grace Bay in Providenciales, the main island of Turks and Caicos in the Caribbean, takes the title of world’s best rated beach and it’s not difficult to see why. Seven miles in length, this beach has all the marks of a world class beach – turquoise water, powdery snow-white sand and glorious sunshine year-round.
The second best rated beach in the world is Baia do Sancho in Brazil’s Fernando de Noronha, an archipelago with UNESCO world heritage status.
For those who want to visit a beach outside of Ireland that is a little closer to home than the Caribbean or Brazil, La Concha Beach in San Sebastian, Europe’s number one beach, is located in the centre of the city and boasts 1,500 metres of white sand. In addition, in the centre of the bay is the small island, Isla Santa Clara. Beachgoers at La Concha can swim out to the island, which has its own small beach, a lighthouse, picnic tables and a bar.
The second best rated beach in Europe is Elafonissi Beach in Elafonissi, Crete.
Travellers’ Choice Beaches award-winners were determined based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings for beaches on TripAdvisor gathered over a 12-month period.
For the complete 2018 Travellers’ Choice Beaches Awards winners and more reviews, opinions and candid traveller photographs, go to http://www.tripadvisor.ie/TravellersChoice-Beaches. (Please note this link will be live with 2018 results on Wednesday 21st February).
To help travellers plan their next beach trip, TripAdvisor has identified highly-rated value hotels near the award-winning beaches this March.
Top 10 Beaches in the World
1. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Ports of Call Resort, from £192 per night on TripAdvisor
2. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Beco de Noronha Pousada, from £211 per night on TripAdvisor
3. Varadero Beach, Varadero, Cuba
4. Eagle Beach, Palm – Eagle Beach, Aruba
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, from £212 per night on TripAdvisor
5. Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Compass Point Dive Resort, from £178 per night on TripAdvisor
6. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra, from £122 per night on TripAdvisor
7. Clearwater Beach, Florida, United States
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Pier House 60 Marina Hotel, from £209 per night on TripAdvisor
8. Seven Mile Beach, Negril, Jamaica, Caribbean
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Firefly Beach Cottages, from £48 per night on TripAdvisor
9. Bavaro Beach, Bavaro, Dominican Republic
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Ocean Blue & Sand, from £145 per night on TripAdvisor
10.Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Beachfront bargain hotel nearby: Hotel Bucaneros Hotel & Suites, from £64 per night on TripAdvisor
Top 10 Beaches in Europe
1. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
2. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
3. Falesia Beach, Olhos de Agua, Portugal
4. Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
5. Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
6. Kleopatra Beach, Alanya, Turkey
7. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Sicily, Italy
8. Balos Beach and Lagoon, Kissamos, Crete, Greece
9. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
10.Playa de Las Canteras, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Top 10 beaches in Ireland
1. Inch Beach, Inch
2. Inchydoney Beach, Clonakilty
3. Dog’s Bay Beach, Roundstone
4. Barleycove Beach, Schull
5. Coumeenoole Beach, Dingle
6. Maghera Beach and Caves, Ardara
7. Silver Strand Beach, Malin Beg
8. Derrynane Beach, Caherdaniel
9. Strandhill Beach, Strandhill
10.Banna Strand, Tralee